Thursday 21 August 2014

Confessions From My Larder

Opprobrious remarks have been forthcoming recently, about the state of my larder. Particularly when D has been trying to put away the contents of assorted shopping bags. An experience that has become increasingly reminiscent of a battle of some ferocity, without any obvious winner. And, in all fairness, I have to admit that the larder space has resembled something akin to preparations for a six-month siege in there or alternatively perhaps, the depositing area for some kind of foodie jumble sale. It's been like that for a while and extracting or searching for an elusive packet or jar of some ingredient lurking in this jungle has exacerbated what was already a crowded mess.

It had got so bad that you entered this walk-in cupboard at all, at your peril.  Cake tins that had been optimistically cantilevered on top of one another, would break loose from their tenuous moorings on a whim and catch the unwary a sudden and unexpected blow to the side of the head;


jars, piled at least three deep, teetered precariously and threatened an avalanche of glass and crab apple jelly when a hapless searcher after a replacement jar of Marmite, disturbed their serried ranks; bags of rice immured spice jars like sandbags awaiting a flood; tins of tomatoes and kidney beans jostled and elbowed their way among delicate packets of dried, pink rose petals, ruffled paper muffin cases and floaty, white rolls of rice-paper like a bunch of unruly football hooligans trampling a troupe of ballet dancers who had inadvertently found themselves on the terraces; cartons of UHT milk, bought in bulk for yoghurt-making, trying to get an inadequate toe-hold on the edges of shelves already full to bursting, were inclined to fall headlong and give the unwary a nasty bruise, on their way down. The floor was no better - inserted ingeniously among the wine bottles stored in their rack, were surreptitious rolls of baking parchment, clutches of freezer bags that had long since parted from their boxes and some very long, black, squid-ink spaghetti that I could find no easy home for on the shelves above. The five litre tin of olive oil (and a couple of smaller olive oil tins) stood like bruisers in the doorway and unfailingly stubbed your toe as you endeavoured to reach for something. The box in the back corner where I store small bottles of homemade sloe or blackberry gin was giving unwanted asylum to a number of spindly spiders and their friends. It was, in other words, a disgrace.

In the Second World War it was illegal to hoard food items and whenever I've come across references to that, I've felt uneasy. It's guilt. I fear, I may be a hoarder!

In my defence, I feel I should say that none of the things in the said larder are things I don't or won't use. Many of them have been bought because they were "on special offer" and buying three bags of flour, or rice, or whatever, for the price of two when you use flour, or rice, or whatever, all the time makes a lot of sense. Or I thought it did. Now I am not so sure.


In addition, living in a village where the nearest supermarket is a five mile drive away and working full-time to boot, means that I am simply not passing shops in the way that I did when we lived in London and wasn't working full-time. It makes sense to "have stocks" and run a proper store cupboard so that when I run out of an ingredient there's a spare one in the larder waiting. A spare one may be, but not a spare five, Mrs T!

And of course almost two shelves in my larder don't hold food at all - they support part of my collection of cookery books and it's very convenient having them there to hand. I probably have too many recipe books but they are my cooking friends and I like their company.


"What you need," both my best friend and my son told me, is a "stock-taking system set up on an Excel spreadsheet." The idea has something to recommend it but I know I'll never remember to update it and if that's the case, then, what's the point? As a compromise, I've taped up a handwritten list on the larder door itself, tallying what's in there and hope because it's on the spot, I will remember to use it to cross things off. (I've managed to cross off a tin of olives and one of tomatoes already, owing to H's pizza-making fest yesterday)  ; )



In the meantime, an exercise of sorting, tidying and rationalisation has taken place.  This, despite what you may think, is tidy!


And a systematic tally has been made and the arresting facts noted - a shameful roll-call of thirteen tins of chopped tomatoes, - thirteen! How can I have amassed thirteen tins of tomatoes?  - three kilos of porridge oats - I know you eat these for breakfast every day, Mrs T, but three kilos?! - five pounds of ground almonds - what are you thinking of making, macaroons for Britain? - six jars of olives - even H who adores olives doesn't eat them at that rate - and so on.


No more of these and their ilk will be bought until they have been eaten. No more jams or jellies will be made until those that remain from the last few years are down to single figures from the, slightly startling, figure of forty five or so currently up there.


The figure is actually more than forty five but my nerve for counting further quailed, when the tally reached forty five.

A cache of items that I feel are too elderly really to risk eating have had to be exiled to the food bin. Not as many as I feared though. Only some food colouring pastes whose "best-before dates" were well into the last century, a nearly empty jar of wild rice that I am sure is at least a decade old and a bottle of Worcestershire sauce which seemed to predate even having a sell-by date. Could have been worse. Could have been a lot worse! "Could have been Granny's jam cupboard!" H reminds me, conscious of a never-to-be-forgotten occasion when my mother produced from her cupboard a jar of ancient, homemade, plum jam, dated some thirty years previously. It was, remarkably enough, all right. A little stiff and dark after its long incarceration and needing the addition of a little boiling water to make it spreadable but otherwise perfectly good. Sell-by and best-before dates have their place but sealed tins and jars, I feel, can go some way beyond them. Not thirty years, normally, perhaps! And one has to use common sense and inspect "vintage" items for any sign of deterioration that might be harmful, obviously.

But I love my larder and the feeling that I can rustle up food without having to go shopping should need arise. I particularly love the fact that here, on its cool, dark, wooden shelves are stored things that I need no power supply or gizmo to preserve and that if the electricity or water supply fails for more than a few hours, (as it has done, in both cases, a number of times this last year), I can conjure up something good to eat by entering its friendly, hallowed space and raiding its inner sanctum.

As the year turns perceptibly, I have one eye on the coming autumn and winter and,perhaps in a rather old-fashioned way, I shall continue to cherish my hoard, but after the above saga of revelation, it aims to be a rather slimmer hoard than before!

Do you keep a store-cupboard in the old-fashioned sense of the word? Any secrets you've found that help you to manage it? All suggestions gratefully received!

And now I shall go and see what my larder's newly and pleasingly arranged shelves might suggest for supper. Possibly mushroom risotto, as I seem to have six bags of risotto rice and three of dried mushrooms!
E x





14 comments:

  1. There is such a sense of security and comfort having a well stocked larder I think. Good for you!
    Sadly my food cupboards underwent a traumatic experience this summer when we were forced to clear everything out, and threw an appalling amount of both in and out of date food out, because we had a discovered a moth problem, and even unopened packets looked suspect. Being completely ruthless has sorted it, but has left my shelves sadly depleted. Luckily all my tinned stuff in the proper larder were not affected, so like you I have plenty and can always rustle up a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing nicer than a stocked larder, like you I live a fair distance from a town so I know that at any time I can produce a meal or several. I can offer no words of advice or wisdom because my larder is as bad as yours with lots of chutneys and jams that I have made. Good luck with keeping it tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mushroom risotto is wonderful, so yes, definitely use some of the rice and mushrooms for that! During the summer my cupboards and freezer are pretty well organised and not overstocked, but come November they start to fill up with things "just in case" and then it can get rather chaotic and hubby complains a lot!! Of course he never complains when I can rustle dinner up from nothing - as I did on Wednesday this week - but boy does he moan when he is searching for a jar of marmalade or something - that is usually right at the front just in front of his nose!!! Good luck with your new system, I hope that it works for you and that you can work through jam mountain! Oh, another thought, the risotto rice would probably make great rice pudding and then you can stir some of the jam through it - delicious!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your larder sounds the sort of place for the Famous Five to have a wonderful adventure! I did a similar stock take a year or so ago and vowed only to make small batches of jams and chutneys and just accept that it's better to put the excess fruit and veg on the compost heap where at least it isn't going to waste. When stocks run low of tinned tomatoes, flour etc I write it on my list and only buy when it's on the list, even if it is on special offer. The best thing about slightly sparser shelves (quite apart from the danger aspect) is that I can now see what's there and so more likely to use the last of that slightly strange ingredient. There is of course nothing more satisfying than a well stocked pantry, particularly when it contains pretty tins, rose petal jam and blackberry gin. Just best not to have to don a hard hat and safety boots before venturing in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs T
    Another hoarder here, with precariously balanced tins, bottles, packets and jars, all waiting to leap out on the unwary. I really need to have a sort out too - perfect job for a rainy bank holiday, methinks?! You show that it can be done, so armed with this knowledge, I shall gird my loins and bravely sally forth into the realms of the food storage mountain...wish me luck. (Then I just have to tackle the rest of the full-to-the-brim house. *Sigh*.)
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Methinks you and i went to the same "Hoard-It School of Home Management"!!!!! My larder and yours could be sisters! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Miss T, I love a well-stocked larder and wouldn't like to live without it. But I try to keep track of all the things I hoard. This year I also restricted myself no to make any jam or jelly because there are still some preserving jars dated from 2007. It's time to consume them all before new jars are stored again. But it is difficult when you have the fresh fruits in your garden. So this year I made currant sirup and it is delicious, especially mixed with sparkling wine. So I avoided jars and produced bottles instead :-). My larder will never be empty... Have a nice weekend, Viola

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the peek into your larder. I am so glad other people have the same issues I do, but how lucky are you to have a larder?! Good luck with the manage, ent of it, and I think the last shot looks very neat, now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol I just read this, but after my husband (and I) had spent the afternoon organizing our kitchen pantry (not walk in). I feel like I'm more likely to make some of the recipes I've been looking at this summer now that I know I have both Evaporated Milk and Sweetened Condensed Milk...which for some reason I never think I have...among other things now found.
    I totally can relate to your writing.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I love you! Between your larder and my yarn room we make a good pair. I now feel so much better about the avalanche of several baskets of yarn that fell on me during a frantic search for some basic black DK for teddy bears nose earlier this afternoon! And I am sooooo glad someone else has jam that is over 10 years old!
    *hugs* O. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love having a larder. Managed to get one a few years ago and don't think I could do without it. I try to keep it tidy and things arranegd where they can be found but it isn't always possible. I had a lot of my own preserves stored and, really, we don't eat any near as much of it as I make. So I have stopped making any until what's there is used up. Which means I have a lot of empty jars taking up space!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Un "cellier", ou une "arrière-cuisine" est un rêve que je n'ai jamais pu réaliser... je n'ai eu que des placards, des étagères, et dans ma cuisine actuelle un dessous d'escalier qui me sert de rangement à provisions..(sigh !).car je suis comme toi "a hoarder", que ce soit pour les provisions ou les pelotes de laine !!!
    A bientôt Elizabeth

    Christiane
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good afternoon. Things never last very long in our house with so many mouths to feed and I have the opposite problem to you; my vivid imagination (coloured by the dominance of male-type disaster movies that are so popular in our home) constantly worries about what would happen if, in some future, dystopian Haywards Heath (!) I had to feed my children on the meagre contents of the store cupboard. I would love to have a big larder like yours. Recently my brother built one into his garage and last time I was visiting I had to pop out to the garage to gaze in wonder at the colourful, neatly stacked ranks of tins, boxes and packets. Well done for getting to grips with it all. I'm currently mid-diet (and struggling) so I will have to avoid all of your foodie blogs and photos! Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I know this problem, too! Formerly I also had such a nice larder. My favorite thing were noodles in all shapes ;-). But a few years ago we had the same problem as gillyflower already mentioned above: Moths. Had to throw away all packages of rice, noodles, spices and so on. Since then I'm trying to store only glasses and tins, to be on the safe side. Sometimes I have got in reserve 1 package of noodles or 2-3 cooking bags rice in the kitchen, but that's it. Btw, I saw that shopping bag of "Tee Gschwender" on a photo above... good shop with yummy tea! Did you visit one in Germany sometime? Greetings and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!
    Nata

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit me at Mrs TT's and comment. I love to read what you write.